Today’s blog is a little different. I have consciously started choosing healthy food over unhealthy fried food while traveling. So I am going to share one of the healthy travel snack recipes that is homemade and very healthy. Indians are expert at making yummiest snacks and that too in wide variety. I know homemade and healthy food can be boring sometimes, but hey, not when it tastes sweet.
Every Indian mother swears by jaggery for health of her child. And peanuts are full of health benefits too. So I bring to you this mouth-watering and crunchy travel snack- “Peanut chikki” I wish I had thought about making it for my Sikkim Trip
First of all let me list out some awesome health benefits to make this blog appealing for you.
- Reduces cholesterol and controls heart health
- Prevents skin ailments like Eczema and Psoriasis
- Flushes out toxins and prevents nervous diseases like Alzheimer’s and Dementia.
- It helps promote growth in children
So it is overall beneficial to consume this snack for humans of all ages. And do not worry even a bit about calories since it is made of jaggery and not sugar. Besides, this is one of those energy rich delicacies that you must have despite of slightly higher amount of calories. Advantages simply weigh more than disadvantages in this case. Now, lets talk about the recipe.
I am happy to announce that these are all real images of the chikki that I made with my own hands without any help. I felt so proud that it tasted excellent.
- Peanuts- 1 cup
- Jaggery- 1 cup
- Ghee (Clarified butter) – 1 tbsp
- Dry roast 1 cup peanuts until light brown or until a roasting smell erupts. Then keep them aside to cool. Grind them coarsely when they cool off.
- Put a pan on stove and add 1 tbsp ghee.
- Keep shredded jaggery ready and add to ghee when it melts. Side by side, grease a steel plate with ghee and keep it ready.
- Keep stirring constantly on a medium flame until the mixture turns brown.
- To check whether it is crunchy enough so that stove can be turned off, you can apply a simple technique that my mother in law taught me. Take a bowl of water and pour a drop of the hot mixture in it. Remove it and bite it with your front teeth. If it sticks on your teeth, it needs to be heated some more. If it does not stick then it has become crunchy already.
- When the mixture is ready, turn off the stove and add coarsely ground peanuts to it. Mix properly and quickly before it cools off.
- Pour the hot mixture of ghee, jaggery and peanuts on the already greased steel plate and spread evenly with greased rolling pin or greased bottom of a small steel bowl. Make it flat like this and make contour of square pieces:
Let it cool and then it will come out easily. If it doesn’t come out easily with a ladle then put it on top of hot water. Easy, isn’t it? Store in air tight container and forget all worries about it getting stale!
I love this snack so much that I randomly make it at home and have it as a dessert after every meal. This awesome travel snack does not get spoiled and has a good shelf life. Besides, while on a road trip or any other trip, when you do not get satisfactorily good food, this snack comes in real handy.
So, now you have got all reasons to try out this delicious travel snack recipe yourself. Go on try it and let me know your thoughts.
Stay Sassy! Live Real!
There are some ready made Indian travel snacks that you can pack if you are last minute packer. If you wish to buy these yummy snacks online then check out this. Sattviko snacks
Need more inspiration? Read about my other trips here.